It focuses on the history built environment of the place and contributes to its evolution as a district. It enables to understand the current built environment of Bulandshahr through its architectural heritage and also helps to unfold socio-cultural histories through the lens of built environment.
The origin of Bulandshahr district dates back to 1200 B.C. It is in close proximity to Indraprasth and Hastinapur, the seat of power of the Pandavas. After the fall of Hastinapur, the Pandavas ruled from Ahar located in the Bulandshahr district. Over the years a fort was built by king Parma in this region. Much later king Ahibaran established a tower which was called Baran. Since the tower was situated on an elevated land it was named Bulandshahr which in Persian means “high city”.
During his stay, as he sought to realize a vision both playful and Mughal-like, he reconstructed the market square, built a Bathing Ghat on the river bank, laid out a public garden and tank, and began constructing a new Town Hall; in the outlying municipality of Khurja, the district’s commercial center, he built a new marketplace and bazaar.